In preparing nursing students for their first nursing core semester, I began with this quote at transition orientation: “A goal without a plan is just a wish” Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Many of the students begin the core nursing courses with the goal of becoming a nurse without a realistic plan to be successful in the program.
Within the first few weeks, they are faced with:
* the importance of patient safety
* application/analysis style and select all that apply questions,
* clinical rotations, math for medications,
* skills labs,
* application of critical thinking, and
* the reality that all of the answers are correct, but only one is priority. [Read more…]